18 February 2020 ( 68 views )
CHEESY ITALIAN STUFFED PEPPERS
- 16 ounces bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 (14.5-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
- 2 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces dried orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 bell peppers (whichever color you prefer)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 basil leaves, chopped (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium (10-inch) skillet over medium heat, approximately 2 minutes. Add orzo, stir to coat. Cook until orzo is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil, cook for 7-10 minutes until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, wash peppers. Cut the tops off and remove seeds and veins. Pat peppers dry with a paper towel. Place peppers (lids and bottoms) in a microwave-safe bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon oil and kosher salt. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or microwave-safe lid. Microwave until peppers are soft (about 10 minutes). Remove peppers from bowl and stand up (cut side up) in a 9”x9” baking dish.
- In the meantime, heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to skillet and cook until browned.
- In the orzo pan; combine sausage, tomatoes, mozzarella, and cheeses. Stir to combine. Stuff mixture into peppers, using a spoon. Set tops aside.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, until the top is lightly browned. Place tops on peppers and serve.